A must needed engineering field
Production engineering is a vast area. Producing goods to the market to satisfy the customers according to their requirements is the main objective of this field. With the rise of high production costs, it is even getting harder to produce a well-designed product. If you are to become a production engineer, you will have a role to play via utilizing the raw material in a low-cost manner to deliver goods that can have gain in a high profit in the market. Let us discuss key facts in this field here onward.
Production engineering history
Production engineering is known to be a major, which is a combination of mechanical, management theories. Even though it is not a first-choice engineering field in the world, production engineering did exist even before the industrial revolution. However, it was during world war one and world war two It did come to play a significant role in producing large scale weapons and machinery in world war one and tow .
Shop theories use for production engineering. By that time, only manual drawing was available to make the designs. So it was time-consuming. But it was able to mold the engineers to have their critical thinking in a more imaginary manner. Later CAD came into the industry that made engineering drawing much more manageable.
The importance of production engineering processes is also got into the act when the industries were expanding . Industrial engineering people who has decision science skills made a critical impact on finding solutions for production-related issues
1. Standard processes in production engineering
Basic characteristics of the material make the material to deform when applying calculated stress according to the material properties. There is no wastage of material in this process which is a key advantage of forming . The sub-processes of forming given below;
Forging: This involves using a full force like hammering to make objects. Typically, intricate gears and rivets are manufacturing in this way
Rolling: This production process is used by passing the material through a pair of rolls. Mainly roofing sheets are made using this forming process
Extrusion: the extrusion in the production process is done by pushing or drawing material through a die to an object that has a fixed cross-sectional profile.
Drawing: by taking the tensile stress into account it works. The metal stretches to make the desired object. Mainly cold drawing uses to manufacture polymer and plastic-based products
Material cutting does shearing between two cutting edges. It needs to say that this production process has material waste depending on the operation that uses. As a solution for the trash, some materials are recycled by the companies for re-production. Some main subcategories of cutting are listed below
Shearing: Straight cutting according to a given line
Blanking: This involves cutting of metal to separate pieces in a single pieces by manner. Gaskets are typically made using this way
Punching: this requires an external force applying on a surface and getting the desired object. The remain of the punching is known as the slug
If we are to assemble parts, we need to join them according to the design temporally or permanently. There are mainly five common types of joints, namely: Butt, corner, Lap. Edge, Tee, and the way you want to join the production process can apply as you wish. Importantly, no physical structure change happens in this production engineering process.
The below gives some of the joining operations which use in the industry;
Riveting: Two metallic parts join by using rivets. Mainly in the automobile and aerospace industry uses this methodology to assemble parts.
Bolting: By using a screw or metallic parts are joined in this production process. It is a temporary joining method.
Welding: This is a complex process that has a vast area to cover. thus, this production process is a permanent joint that is done mainly on using heat and pressure. Melting the metal and joining is the fundamental principle here. Gas welding and Arc welding are conventional methods in industry, and the welding requires a skillful person to operate with precious industrial safety precautions.
Above all, the processes mentioned mainly the traditional production processes, and depending on the industry, different process types will use.
Furthermore, the production engineers do follow the basic waterfall methodology to produce products in the past. Due to rapid development in this field, they can apply agile methods according to their requirements. But still it is scarce to see the usage of agile methodologies in production fields.
2. A day of a production engineer at the workplace
A production engineer should possess not only the technical skills. In this field soft skills is . In a highly competitive environment, as an engineer, you need to update your skills to survive for a more extended period. Majority of people who are in the industry do have the below tasks in their day to day work life;
Common tasks of a production engineer
- Planning and preparing the materials for production: This task does with the help of the stores and inventory management people. In addition to that bulk or batch production, the stocks of raw material need is checked by the production engineer and reserve it for the operations.
- Costing: It has to be correct in every sense. if not it would eventually result in the organization a loss which would lose a competitive advantage in the longer run. For this reason, it needs to make sure the way of costing properly. The costing of a product only not included the raw material cost, but also mainly the labor cost, utility cost and machine depreciation. Therefore, analyzing and getting the right low price and high-quality inputs to the production are vital in the longer run.
- Using improvement tools and techniques: As a production engineer, following the basic waterfall method for production engineering would not do much with the present context. For this reason, it requires to use industry best practices methods into production. Mainly lean techniques, ISO quality management methodologies uses as a remedy for production process improvements accordingly.
- New product development: the sacristy for resources and raw material sustainability has pushed industries to look into alternative solutions for new product designs. Consequently, companies do make products according to regions and markets.
- Make use of mathematics and statistics: Employers seek production engineers to be well-drilled in this areas to become more valuable to the organization.
3. Career and Jobs in production engineering
Job opportunities are limitless for production engineers. If we take Germany and Japan, they do have openings in multinational organizations. The below industries are the popular selection of production engineers;
- Automobile industry
- Food Industry
- Plastic Industry
- Electronic and electrical manufacturing Industry
- Garment industry
- ERP industry
Besides, some top companies do have graduate trainee programs. The production engineering graduates can also apply for a marketing career if he/she is willing to take the challenge. There are ample amount of overseas opportunities as well
Here some of the companies that have opportunities in production side;
- Procter and Gamble (P& G)
- Avery Dennison
On the other hand, production engineering people may be able to start as a production executive or industrial engineer. From there on wards to a Chief Executive Officer or Managing Director.
Hence, if you want to change the company for better opportunities, would also not be a problem due to the high demand for an experienced person in this field. You can go for a better salary package if you have experience in a well-reputed manufacturing company.
4. Future of production engineering
In fact, we have to have our basic needs then the production engineering is a must, In order to sustain human civilization. At present compare to many popular engineering areas, the production field does have a lack of people in engineers.
In other words, people who have a career in Mechanical field do tend to become production engineers. Usually when they get job opportunities that relates to production engineering they grab it.
Most of the popular universities have the same scope in their degree programs and it will not be a problem to get the right education in any of these industry-related fields in any parts of the world.
In summery, production of products with sustainable resources will be a hot topic in the years to come. In here, It is the production engineers who will have a significant role to play for the next generation. They will invent and make new products to the world by that time. Therefore, if you are currently following a career in production, future would looks bright for you.